Embassy of Finland in Addis Ababa is looking to employ one “Advisor for Water and Agricultural Growth (locally engaged)” on a full time basis, starting from October 2013.
As a team member advising the Embassy on water and agricultural growth related issues, the Advisor will be responsible for preparation and follow-up of Finnish funded development programmes in Ethiopia in the water sector (including water resources and WASH) and the agriculture sector (with an emphasis on agri-business development) under the supervision of the Counselor for Water Land Administration and Agriculture. S/he will also support the Embassy with information on overall sector development . Main tasks are :
- Assist the Embassy in preparation of support to water sector programme in bilateral and multilateral development cooperation
- Supporting the Embassy in preparation of support to agricultural growth related programmes in bilateral and multilateral development cooperation,
- Assist the Embassy in matters relating to the oversight of water and agricultural growth related programmes in bilateral and multilateral development cooperation
- Following the development of the water sector in Ethiopia, participate in sector platforms, dialogue and coordination between GOE, donors and Civil Society (CSOs);
- Participate in the reporting of the Embassy with inputs from the areas of responsibility in coordination with the Counselor;
- Participate in sector events and programme oversight missions in Ethiopia, in the Region and abroad as required;
- Act as replacement for the Finnish Counselor as per need
- Perform any other duties defined by the Head of Mission or Head of Cooperation
Qualification and Skill:
- At least a Master's Degree in any one of the following disciplines: water resources management, soil and water conservation, natural resources management, rural development, water resources, agriculture, economics, environment.
- At least ten (10) years of relevant working experience after graduation in water sector and/or agriculture sector
- Experience in project management of multi-disciplinary working teams
- Experience in project planning, management, and appraisal
- Experience in capacity building, training and institutional development of governmental organizations;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills,
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills
- Strong ability to work under pressure
- Proven experience in working with national and international experts, consultants, and governmental and non-governmental agencies.
- Excellent command in written and spoken English and Amharic
- Active user of Microsoft Office products and GIS and database applications
- Availability to travel in country, in the Region and abroad as required
- Previous experience with donor agencies or other international environment is an advantage
Salary is negotiable.
The employment will commence with a probationary period of six months.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their CV and a letter of application in English setting out why you are suitable and interested in the post, a copy of your relevant degree, certificate of work experience and 3 references with their contact details; to the Embassy of Finland, PO Box 1017, Addis Ababa, or by hand delivery to the Embassy Chancery, Sub-City Kirkos, Kebele 10, House No. 436, Addis Ababa, to be received no later than October 8, 2013. Mark the envelope and application “Advisor for Water and Agricultural Growth (locally engaged)”. The Embassy will not return any documents sent in.
A short list of the most merited applicants will be made and the shortlisted candidates will be notified. Other candidates will not be contacted.
The Embassy is Equal Opportunities employer, and encourages applications from both female and male candidates, all parts of community. Selection will be based on merit.
For more information on the Embassy and its work, please visit the Embassy's website at www.finland.org.et